Thursday, February 23, 2006

A trip to the DMV or The brink of insanity...

I should start by saying that if you combined every DMV office I ever visited in Florida the one we ventured into today would dwarf it. Apparently, California feels you should have more personal space while enduring the joys of a DMV visit.
For any one considering the move, know that you must in fact present nearly every piece of paper that's ever had your name on it to make it through to the picture taker and the written test giver. Also know that the written test here isn't just rules of the road. Though, after living here for a while, you begin to wonder if that was true for those who thought the tourists in the Orlando metro area couldn't drive, the drivers here will make you long for them.
Truly, the experience could have been worse. Without an appointment the whole process took about an hour and my new license should arrive in the mail in 2-4 weeks (go figure). I missed 3 questions one of which I'd like to argue with but I decided it likely wasn't in my best interest. I even registered to vote ( well I think I did, who knows given how many forms there seem to be around these parts just to do anything).
what's more, I'm totally exhausted. Less than a year out from finally finishing my degree, and a simple 36 question driving test has made my brain and body feel the way the final did in Ancient literary discourse! What power such small piece of paper with a mere 36 multiple choice questions has. Perhaps I understand the drivers here better now...a small paper test has driven them all to the brink of insanity in a place with muddy color walls,and pinkish colored booths. Maybe the cough syrup wasn't so bad afterall!

1 comment:

Jacki said...

Ugh! As if changing your last name isn't enough to go through!
-Jacki
http://jackiwolfe.blogspot.com/