Monday, May 22, 2006

Where's the Beef?

I was remembering the old Wendy's commercial yesterday as we walked out of church. While the music was great and the people were wonderful the sermon well, I felt like the old lady's in the Wendy's commercial asking about the aforementioned food.

I'm guessing a lot of people have had experiences like this. Be it the movie you've been dying to see for months, only to be sorely disappointed when you realize the plot is lacking completely ( much like the way I felt about Oceans 12). Or the way you feel when you've looked at some piece of furniture online only to get to the store to find out its the most uncomfortable thing you've ever sat on in your life.

I went to church yesterday hungry to hear the Word. After a rough week...very rough week. ( Allergy testing apparently involves 37 injections in my back then two in my arm to keep me breathing, but I'm recovering well thanks for those of you who were praying.) However, what I found was a sermon that lacked in anything really. It was a guest speaker not the norm for the service we've been attending and I guess the guy was just having what felt like an off day. But both Chad and I left hungry. We'd come to a place of comfort a place of a good spiritual meal yet it seemed while we were expecting a feast what we got was in fact, coffee and donuts. The good news though, was it sparked my husband and I to talk about what we were missing. And in some way, our conversation became the food we were longing for. Of course it probably helped that we had this conversation over barbecue in one of the only places we've found out here that's actually serving it! But, it was a beautiful thing. Apparently my husband and I can actually talk ( always good) and if we get out of the way there is plenty of the proverbial spiritual food we were longing for.

So here is to being hungry when leaving church and finding out that you've got what you need to make a good meal on you own...I'm gonna go find that old Amy Grant song "Fat little baby" and finish cleaning up spilled flour in the kitchen (why is flour so difficult to get clean).

Hope you're all well fed and talking amongst yourselves...we've all got so much to learn from each other....
Blessings to you all

No comments: